http://tamiandcraig.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Mr. Timothy Reviews... Us! (w/pic)
About a month ago, we had the good fortune to be visited by one of our blog readers from halfway around the word. Known to many in the Les Mills online community as Mr. Timothy, he's a fellow instructor from Ballarat, Australia - and here's what he had to say about our class...
"Hi. My name is Tim and I have a BodyPump obsession."

In an attempt to feel "less abnormal", I seek out other people who take classes, and who talk and think about BodyPump as much as I do. Yep - it's a coping strategy!

Two such people are Tami and Craig - BodyPump Instructors, and prolific bloggers on the same topic. They even have matching magic shirts!

While many folks choose to journey to the Mecca of LMI in Auckland, I chose to make my Les Mills pilgrimage to Blacksburg, Virginia to see the people behind the blog in action. I was staying in Washington DC (I am from Australia). GoogleMaps says that's only 4 ½ hours drive from Blacksburg, which would mean spending 9 hours in the car in return for 1 hour in a BodyPump class.

"Fair ratio" thinks the little BodyPump addicted voice in my head, and before you know it, I have emailed Tami and Craig, got directions and a free pass, and I am in a rental car heading down the I-81. It was like living a John Denver song as I travelled by the Blue Ridge mountains and the Shenandoah river :)

I got to the gym early, and had a chance to chat to Tami and Craig before class. They are just as nice in person as they are on the blog. They have just started up BodyPump classes at this gym, and with five minutes to go, I was the only participant – yikes – what if it gets cancelled!?!? But sure enough, in the next five minutes, the faithful turned up and we were all set. I had to do some mental arithmetic to convert the weights from pounds into kilos.

So how do they measure up?

Tami's instructor archetype: "THE ENFORCER"
Tami is like a bayonet. Steely eyes and a cool, calm and collected demeanour. Her presence is subtly demanding, unyielding – you know you better get those lunges done!

Craig's instructor archetype: "THE ENTERTAINER"
Craig is like a wind-up toy. High energy, fun, full of surprises, and doesn't take it all too seriously - but still - you know you better get those lunges done! Luckily, no wardrobe malfunctions on this occasion.

Together, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. They combine in a way that only a husband and wife can. I thought it was a great class. Just what BodyPump should be. A mix of newer and older tracks, a good honest workout and a social atmosphere amongst the participants. Topped off by the House of Pain lunge track.

I particularly liked their ending. They addressed the class as the cool down music ran out, "We spent most of our 20's and 30's being inactive, and we know what it takes to get back in shape. So from us, to you, thanks for coming out today". With the phrase "us to you" they open their hands from their hearts and reach out to the class in unison. It's kind of sweet and creates an authentic and sincere connection.

Since these guys love to give reviews and grades, here's my assessment... I give them an A. It would have been an A+ except they let some Aussie guy take the squat track!
Yep, and it was our pleasure to have Tim start our workout off right with the BodyPump 62 squat track! Thanks for the review, and glad you made it back safely mate!!
0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment