http://tamiandcraig.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
What I Learned In Sculpting Class
Every month or so I have to travel out of town for a few days on business. Tami doesn't mind so much because she says it gives her a break from having to slave over a hot stove. Plus it gives me the opportunity to earn a few extra dollars to pay for her next trip to the shoe store.

Anyway, when time allows, I try to find a nearby gym that offers Pump classes in the hopes of picking up some new cues or techniques we might use. But during this latest trip it dawned on me that I needed to step out of my comfort zone. So I stopped by a local gym and took something they call Super Sculpt. Now, I don't know what part of the class was "sculpting", but I can tell you this - I've never been to anything like it before. It was a non-stop combination of step, dance, hand weights, a weighted bar, and abs. I wasn't totally lost, but I was definitely out of my element.

And that's exactly what we instructors need every now and again: A good reminder of what it's like to be a "newbie". If you're a Pump instructor, going to someone else's Pump class won't give you that - you already know the moves. Same goes for Step, Flow, RPM, or anything else you teach. Try on something new, though, and suddenly you're reminded of what it was like the first time you set foot into a class.

I walked out of there this evening knowing that instead of fiddling with my mic before class or talking to the regulars, I need to do a better job of seeking out new faces. Especially the confused ones in the back of the room. I've got a new appreciation for the importance of really clear cueing. And after spending the class feeling like I was always two steps behind everyone else, I was reminded that a little praise goes a long way when the instructor said I'd done just fine.

So while I was a little too preoccupied to pick up any new cues - and my physique probably didn't get much sculpting - I can honestly say really got a lot out of that experience. Matter of fact, I might stop by tomorrow evening for their Boot Camp class...
5 Comment(s):
On 25 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig-
Way to step out of your box. It is awkward, but I like how you found the good in this. I understand what you mean though about being a "newbie". I have taken some of my fellow instrutors classes (that I am not familiar with). You go from feeling very confidant about what you are doing in your own class to feeling like a complete klutz in someone elses!

Hope you have fun in the Boot Camp class...........that one sounds intimidating just hearing the name!!

Niki

 
On 25 April, 2007, Blogger Tami W. said...

Speaking of shoe stores, I think I need a pair of leopard print flats - it's the latest thing. Thanks honey bunny!

 
On 25 April, 2007, Blogger Tami and Craig Warman said...

And you folks thought I make this stuff up!

 
On 29 April, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you Craig. Almost a year ago I cut back my classes because I was burnt out. I kept only one Pump class. This gave me lots of time to take classes from other people. My teaching grew so much during that period when I was teaching the least! I learned a lot from other classes: What to do and What I never wanted to do in my class. I literally had a teacher tell us if we didn't get our form right she'd kill us. Be careful what you say on the microphone. But I also stole some great cues from some awesome instructors.

 
On 24 May, 2007, Blogger Reymond said...

Thanks for the comment, Craig :) Such a great insight and explanation.

 

Post a Comment