http://tamiandcraig.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Squats: Our Picks From The 50s Series
In the bigger scheme of things there's really not much room for variation when it comes to squats: you go down, you come back up. End of story. So you have to applaud the creativity the choreographers have shown in the 50's series with the introduction of the super slow down and hold in 54 and 55, along with a smorgasbord of combos in 57 and 58, and triple-staggers in 59. And to top it off, an impressive variety of music from one release to the next keeps it interesting.

So here's our picks for the best, worst, and most memorable squat tracks from the 50's series:
Best: Voodoo Child (Rogue Traders) - BodyPump 56 - Performance opportunities abound for charismatic instructors with the truckload of snappy stop-action breaks that punctuate this challenging routine. And classes get their money's worth, with a workout that starts off with a set of 24 progressively-deeper singles and wraps up with two sets of bottom halfs. Captain Jack's remake of KC & The Sunshine Band's classic Give It Up deserves an honorable mention for a 70's throw-back that does justice to the original.

Worst: Celebration (DJ Bobo) - BodyPump 50 - Universally disliked by Tami and our classes alike, this song hasn't seen the light of day since the launch. "I hate the way the singer tries to be cool by saying "We gonna party wit chu." Couldn't agree wit chu more. A close runner-up in this category: Danzel's You Are All of That from BodyPump 55.

Most Memorable: Simply Irresistable (Robert Palmer) - BodyPump 59 - Maybe it's that legendary MTV video, our love of 80's nostalgia, or perhaps that it's one of the most singable squat songs we've ever heard. Whatever it is, one thing is certain: This tune keeps rolling through our heads long after the track is over - and that's what makes it our pick for most memorable squat track in the 50's series.
Ah yes, there's another round of bests and worsts of the BodyPump 50's series. Next up: Chest
9 Comment(s):
On 17 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looooove the eight counts down and up in Simply Irresistible ... and the dirty looks I get when I teach it!

 
On 18 November, 2006, Blogger admin said...

Love reading this. Looking forward to the next installment. TBH I love Celebration :) I liked all of release 50 an awesome release though. My best woould be From Paris to Berlin Bodypump 57 and Overload from Bodypump 52. I like the trance/techno one though :)Don't You Want Me Alcazar Bodypump 44 is a tough one. Now we are free Dreamgate from Bodypump 40 is a tough one also and Send me an angle Mythos N DJ Cosmo is a good one as well.

 
On 18 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally agreeable.
for the chest tracks, i loved she drives me crazy in 56 cos it was so darn catchy. anyone agree?

 
On 18 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That chest song really drove me crazy, hated it. Any other track was better. I'd probably choose 'Push up' from 53 or 'Sweetest poison' from 55 as best (these two are the only two that include push ups) and 'Pump it up' from 51 as most memorable, although it was a bit annoying to listen to.

 
On 19 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought they were all good. but i do agree with above, i loved "drive me crazy."

 
On 19 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this blog - I know I am not the only "Body Pump nut" around. LOVE YOUR WORK!

I trained on BP 50, and I can honestly say that release had some good songs on it (i.e. Crack It), and I haven't wanted to play it again for a long time. I am starting to think about mixing in a few of those songs soon, though. Especially when I hear "Somewhere I Belong" on the radio and remember all of the choreography!!

Love the performance opportunities in Simply Irresistible, love "Overload" (I like it when they start out slow). I didn't like the first few songs of BP 58, though. Ugh! And that's something I never say - I didn't like most of a release!

 
On 21 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I think that sweetest poison was the best 50's chest track- loved the raw power. Tami and Craig, how much longer do we have to wait before we can here the chest track results?!

 
On 21 November, 2006, Blogger Tami W. said...

My guess is he will have it out today. My vote for best chest track is "Love Shack" which should come as no surprise.

 
On 22 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a relatively tall pumper, I found the single squats in You Are All of That to be a bit too quick for me. I wonder if that is something the choreographers have ever given much thought to. I have only met a couple of the IMTs, but they were all shorter than I am.

Voodoo Child wins for difficulty, Paris to Berlin for enjoyment. Drop Dead Gorgeous is a pretty good compromise between the two. Also enjoyed the slow middle phase in Run to You.

 

Post a Comment