http://tamiandcraig.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
BodyPump, Post-Mike
By now you've probably heard that Mike McSweeney has stepped down as BodyPump head choreographer (if not, just troll through the next couple of postings and you'll see how that revelation evolved). You know, everyone's had the experience of showing up to class one day only to find their favorite instructor has moved on - no matter how good the next person is, there's always the feeling that things will never be the same. And they won't, but that doesn't mean it's all bad.

BodyPump is more than one person. Okay, Mike is a really important person in this case, but you know what we're saying. The vast majority of folks attending Pump classes are there to get in a good workout, and most of them have no idea who Mike is - so his involvement (or not) in the program doesn't matter a whole lot to them. They'll be there tomorrow, and next week, and next month because they're committed to the workout. To them, their instructors are the face of BodyPump.

So we're really gonna miss Mike when we get those videos each quarter. And yes, it won't be the same. But someone out there is next in line to fill his shoes, and we're actually looking forward to seeing what they come up with. You never know, things may turn out alright after all!
15 Comment(s):
On 22 December, 2005, Blogger Reymond said...

When I first started doing Group Fitness classes, I had no idea about Mike, Susan, Dan, Rach and the other Master Trainers. I came to the classes simply because I loved them and I just wanted to work out. I started recognizing them when I browsed the Les Mills website, read the profiles, visited Les Mills blog and read your blog!

What you wrote is true, that people who come to the gym basically just want to get fit and they don't know the whole story behind the curtain.

So thank you for introducing me the Les Mills world. Have a wonderful holiday! Merry Christmas!

 
On 22 December, 2005, Blogger Tami and Craig Warman said...

Reymond - Thank you so much for the post, and also for the kind words about our blog. Merry Christmas to you too!!

 
On 23 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has any of this actually been independently confirmed yet? Because I for one am still somewhat skeptical.

It seems that all the key posts here have been anonymous, which means that for all we know they could be from the one person.

One of the posts says to the effect that "Everyone at Les Mills knows...", yet when you go to Redmond's journal, the first he's heard of it is from the post here. And this is someone who works out regularly at Les Mills in Auckland!

Let's not forget that all this is taking place in a broader context in which there are some who have significant commercial interests in undermining the confidence of the LM instructor community.

So let's wait and see before getting into too much of a lather over what is so far just a totally unsubstantiated rumour.

 
On 23 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

check les mills website its true and I hear he's going to BTS

 
On 23 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously doubt that Mike would go to BTS. Granted, maybe he could make Group Power challenging. Or even interesting, at that. Or maybe he could make Group Power BEARABLE.

Don't pass rumors like that around - karma could come around and bite you for that BTS suggestion!

Mike is LES MILLS, and he is BODY PUMP. Not BTS' Group Power!

 
On 23 December, 2005, Blogger Tami and Craig Warman said...

Spaceman, I agree with you - for a long time I was disturbed that what we were seeing was just a bunch of anonymous stuff. I've since, however, gotten personal email that indicates first-hand knowledge that Mike's left the program. I haven't seen anything official from Les Mills on that - in fact, when I called a few weeks back the person I talked with said he haven't heard of such a thing - but I know that the folks from LMI do read our blog pretty regularly, and I feel that if any of them knew it wasn't true they would've let us know by now. So I think the bottom line is that Mike probably has stepped away, and my hope is that it was on friendly terms. At this point I seriously doubt that he went to BTS though!

 
On 23 December, 2005, Blogger Hanna P. said...

Hello from Finland!

I could easily claim here in Finland nobody cares who makes the releases, as long as they come out as promised. Here fitness culture is younger and propably different than in bigger countries. Maybe we don't look up to "gurus" as much...? I mean, the common people go to class to lose weight, get fit, to have a hobby as any other... just to enjoy an hour of their life, to have a routin and continuety in their life.

So, around the globe, Bodypump will propably go on as before, and nobody will know the difference...

I consider myself more fanatic than average and I have heard about Mike, but I'm sure most of the people in Finland don't have a clue...

I'm anxious to see what future brings!

 
On 24 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike is a Partner at Les Mills International. He is listed as that and has a controlling interest in Les Mills International along with Emma Barry and Stevie R and Peter Manuel.So they have a vested interest that Les Mills and Bodypump still remain a strong leader in the barbell to music class environment.

The people at BTS copied the format for Bodypump.

Mike has left Les Mills (Bodypump) as it's program director and head choreographer.

He is still a Partner at Les Mills International.

If Mike was to go to BTS then the trip to Atlanta Georgia would be three times the trip he did going from where he is from to New Zealand and back.

Mike told me personally that Bodypump 57 was his last video and I got that from Mike the man himself.

 
On 28 December, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know who will be doing the choreography for future BP releases?

 
On 02 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is mike going to BTS for sure or is it just a rumor....

 
On 03 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Mike is!

 
On 06 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

27 that was a long tim ago ;-)

 
On 06 January, 2006, Blogger admin said...

Mike is presenting Bodypump 27 at the Sydney 1/4 2006 on the 26th February 2006 :)

 
On 08 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

27 I don't think so, I think you mean 57

 
On 11 January, 2006, Blogger admin said...

I prob do :opps: :)

 

Post a Comment