http://tamiandcraig.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default
Did "Save a Horse" Get Burnt?

Every now and again a really good song hits the airwaves. The tune is catchy, people love it, so it gets a lot of airplay. Of course you know the rest of the story.

A song that's been overplayed is what DJ's call burnt. Songs like Devo's "Whip It" and Los Del Rio's "The Macarena" got burnt. Nena's "99 Red Balloons"? Burnt. Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock 'N' Roll"? Toast. And here in the States, "Achy Breaky Heart" got burnt so badly that any DJ who spins it puts their job on the line.

Don't get me wrong - every one of these songs were fresh when they first came out. That's why they got so much play - people loved them. And so it is with certain BodyPump songs. When Big & Rich's "Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy" first hit the tracklist, it was the first time we'd heard anything like it in a Pump class before. So it got a lot of play at first, and we loved it. Until it got burnt. I bet we have haven't rolled that one for months now.

This past week we dusted off the "Stomp" song - another really catchy tune that finally wore out its welcome. Yeah there were some groans at first, but after a few rounds of squats it freshened up a bit. It seemed that "Car Wash" and "Cross The Border" were starting to wear thin as well, so we've put'em away for awhile - lest they too wind up in the burnt hopper.

So what do you think - did "Save A Horse" get burnt? Any other songs? Click the comments link below and have your say!
7 Comment(s):
On 11 October, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Save a Horse is a great song! The participants at one of gyms love it, and at my other gym they hate it - because it sticks in their minds the rest of the day!! At first, I couldn't believe that a country song was used because it is so different from what we are accustomed to hearing, but the song has grown on me and I like the song a lot. When I play Save a Horse, I tell my class to sing because otherwise I will. I always say "he says dang and bling bling in the same song - THAT'S JUST WRONG!" and I get laughs every time. It's a great song!

 
On 11 October, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO using that joke next time I pick that one........maybe tomorrow night.

 
On 11 October, 2005, Blogger Tami and Craig Warman said...

You know I'm starting to doubt my thesis here. Apparently I'm the only one who's managed to play the dang thing to death!! ;)

 
On 12 October, 2005, Blogger Reymond said...

Maybe a song gets "BURNT" when ALL INSTRUCTORS are playing the same song over and over again. In a week, I get different Body Pump instructors and they have their own favorites. So bicep track is always fun.

I just got "Save A Horse" for the first time last week in months! So it was okay. Have to admit, it's a tough bicep track. Most of the time I was concentrating on lifting the weights so whatever songs are fine.

My Wednesday afteroon BP instructor likes to do to crack us up is to shake his hips while doing the 4 counts and he asks us to do the same.

The Sunday afternoon BP instructor tells us to form a group of three, and he warns that if one of us stops, the rest of the group have to do push ups. Seems to work because no one has ever done push ups after the bicep track (hopefully he won't play "Save A Horse").

 
On 13 October, 2005, Blogger admin said...

I like the track. It went down well where I am from. Lucky we have only a 4 week release policy most instructors cycled that song off the schedule. Some kept it :) It is a fun track a bit "raunchy" in places, thatis the fun aspect of the track.

We need to Save our Horses :)

I am hooked on Stomp from BP 26 and She's a Lady from BP 24.

I have over 38 Biceps tracks to choose from :) Save a Horse is now on my top 10 best biceps tracks ever.

Did it get burned nope :) I thought Ice Baby Ice did where I am from :)

 
On 17 October, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found out I passed my assessment! Other than that, I was at a wedding this weekend and Save a Horse came on and I got made fun of for knowing all of the words, when I hate country music!

 
On 28 October, 2005, Blogger Tami W. said...

Ice Ice is still one of my favorites. Probably because I get to do the cheesy head nodding thing that just totally annoys Craig.

 

Post a Comment